Sunday, May 24, 2009

Things I’ve Learned at 40/40

• Fitted sheets are a luxury.
• “Nshima” is the Chinyanja word for “intestinal cork.”
• Even if you stop drinking water at 7 pm, you’ll still have to pee in the middle of the night.
• NEVER look down the pit latrine.
• I am capable of much more than I thought, as long as I don’t try to do it in my own strength.
• It’s possible to cook excellent meals over wood fires.
• There is no reason for anyone to chop wood at 4:30 in the morning.
• It gets really cold in Africa.
• A 45-minute walk to the village to talk to people is definitely worth it.
• A good shower uses 5 gallons of water.
• It takes 58 hand pumps at the well to draw 5 gallons of water.
• By the time you walk back to your tent from your shower, your feet will be dirty again.
• A 70-year old woman with arthritis can shell an ear of maize in ¼ the time it takes me.
• The things I am most afraid of are never really as bad as I expect.
• Headlamps are a brilliant invention.
• MKs aren’t afraid to eat meat cooked on a shovel.
• A bouncy ball provides hours of entertainment.
• There’s no better sound than a bunch of African kids singing at the top of their lungs.
• An old woman can stand up in church and start singing with the choir- and no one will bat an eye.
• Whatever you chase out of the latrine at night is definitely more scared of you.
• At night, you can see the Southern Cross, the Pointer Stars, satellites, shooting stars galore, and the Milky Way… and you understand what God meant about Abraham’s children outnumbering the stars.
• It really is easier to carry things on your head.
• Rural Africans are some of the kindest people on the planet.
• It’s possible to make peanut butter by hand… assuming your muscles don’t give out.
• African women do things American women would never dream of doing.
• If you take Ambien and use earplugs, you won’t know- or care- that roaches are climbing all over your mosquito net.
• I will never take a shower or a flush toilet for granted again.

5 comments:

Kidz 40/40 said...

Alissa,
Thank you so much for sharing your heart about your experiences during 40/40. I absolutely loved it all! You are a great writer and captured each moment in a very special way. God is Great and it was exciting to see how He was working in your life while in Zambia. I know that you will take the things that you learned and apply it to where you are now.
love,
suzie

Andi Fansher said...

Thanks for sharing. I will be having nightmares about roaches tonight. Better you than me, oh woman of great strength :)

Kathryn Taylor said...

Thank you for sharing all those details over your 40/40 stay. You did some major journaling while you were there, I'm guessing.

I hope your camera didn't get ruined in the rain. I'm looking forward to seeing pictures.

Royanne Baer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Royanne Baer said...

You are indeed a wonderful writer and I am learning so much from your experiences, if only vicariously (of course, that's the ONLY way I want to learn about the roaches -- grin!) Thank you for doing ALL that you are doing!
Love, Royanne