Monday, May 18, 2009

40/40 Day 26- Stars

When we were at bush camp, I was amazed by how well we could see the stars I’ve never been so far way from light pollution and civilization. There were honestly too many stars to count. For the first time in my life, it made sense to me about God telling Abraham that his descendants would outnumber the stars.

But once we came out to the village, it seems like the stars have multiplied again. It’s unbelievable just what you can see out here. You can watch satellites moving across the sky, and you can actually see the whole Milky Way stretching from one side of the sky to the other.

Shanna, Emily, and I did some stargazing after our bedtime trip to the squatty potty. (We go together for moral support!) Emily reminded me that the Milky Way is actually millions of stars that are so far away that they just look like a band of fog. And there, in the middle of it, is the Southern Cross. (How like the Father to design the entire Universe around the Cross!) But what is even more amazing is that my God not only made all these stars, just by speaking. He placed each one in its specific place and gave it a name. He knows them all.

Not only does He know all the stars, He knows each one of the people He has created. He knows the very number of hairs on our heads. (And, if you shed like I do, that number is constantly changing!) He has a place and a purpose for each of us, and He has given us each a name of our very own. It’s days like today that I am blown away by how big He is. God is so big, so powerful… and yet, He knows me. He loves me. The Maker of the stars loves me. That just might be the most amazing thing of all.

“To whom will you compare Me? Or who is My equal?” says the Holy One. Lift your eyes and look to the heavens: Who created all these? He who brings out the starry host one by one, and calls them each by name. Because of His great power and mighty strength, not one of them is missing.   (Isaiah 40:25-26)

No comments: