Saturday, May 16, 2009

40/40 Day 24- Happy Place

According to Kevin Rodgers, I am in my “happy place.” I’m lying on a foam mattress on the floor of a mud hut in Zambia. I’m draped in mosquito netting, which will hopefully keep away any creatures. My headlamp is hanging from the top of my net, in hopes that the light will also drive away any rodents.

I’ve eaten a butter sandwich, two plates of nshima with beef and greens, and a huge bowl of rice. I shelled beans and maize, and pounded groundnuts with women from the village. I played catch and soccer and sand at the top of my lungs with neighborhood kids. I’ve taken more pictures than I can count.

I’m here for two more days. Sometimes I think, “What the heck am I doing here?” Other times I think, “Why on earth would I ever want to leave?”

No comments: