Wednesday, May 13, 2009

40/40 Day 21- Village People








We’ve been in the villages around Petauke for two days now. I am astounded at the people who live there. They have been far more willing to sit and just talk with us. I’ve sat on grass mats, opened groundnuts, and shelled maize. I’ve talked to a father with malaria, a great-grandmother raising 5 children, and a village headman. One young woman had married and had her first child by the time she was 12. Most of the people I’ve spoken with have not had a good harvest and aren’t sure how they will feed their families for the year. And yet they have opened their homes. They have offered food they didn’t have. They have sent me home with groundnuts. They have loved me, just because I came to visit. I love village people.

No comments: