Tuesday, May 5, 2009

40/40 Day 13- Welcome to the Wilderness


inside the tent

the tent

Bush Camp

After a 5½ hour bus ride and one pit stop on the side of a mountain, we just arrived at bush camp.  We’re set up on a 5-acre farm with about 40 safari tents.  Granted, the tents are really nice, with zip-up netting and a waterproof floor, and they’re more than tall enough for me to stand up in… but it’s still camping.  And I don’t camp. 

I’d rather do just about anything than use a PortaPotty.  My only bathroom for the next 2 weeks is a squatty potty outhouse.  When we were little, we would investigate hotel rooms to make sure they were decent before we agreed to stay there.  And now, here I am, lying on my 3-inch foam mattress with a head lamp and a pit latrine.

What am I doing here?  I am a girl.  A girly-girl.  I do not camp.  If you told me two years ago that I would live in a tent for two weeks, I would have told you that you needed to go hunting for your ever-loving mind, because you had obviously lost it!

Bush camp is just one more example of God calling me to do things that I can’t do.  I cannot live like this.  It is utterly and completely beyond me.  But God is showing me, over and over, that the things I can’t do are easy for Him.  There is absolutely NOTHING that He can’t do.  And because I have His Holy Spirit, I can trust Him to give me His power to accomplish what I can’t.  Even if it means living in a tent for two weeks.

I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.  (Isaiah 41:10)

Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but not with God; all things are possible with God.”  (Mark 10:27)

Now, will somebody just show me where to plug in my hairdryer???

No comments: