Monday, May 18, 2009

40/40 Day 26- Village Life

It’s Day 3 of my homestay in Petauke, Zambia. I am sitting between 3 mud huts, just thinking about what a precious gift I have been given.

How many people have the chance to not only go into an African village and see what it’s like, but to really live there for 3 days? To experience sleeping in a mud hut? To work in the field harvesting groundnuts and beating out sunflower seeds? To draw water from a crank bucket well and carry it home on your head? To sit and eat and talk and just share life with an African family?

I can’t say that I have enjoyed every moment of my homestay. It has been difficult. It has been dirty. I have eaten more than I thought humanly possible—and of things that I really don’t like. There have been moments when I wanted to run away back to “civilized” life. I am definitely ready to go home.

But I have surely been blessed by my days in the village. May I never forget what I have learned in Greyson and Rachel’s home.

No comments: