Monday, May 18, 2009

40/40 Day 26- New Names

Through the past couple of days during our homestay, I noticed some odd looks whenever I introduced myself. Yesterday, I found out why. Greyson told me that “Alissa” (pronounced ah-LEE-sah in African English) is a male name in Zambia—everyone was wondering why I had a man’s name!

As I was talking to a group of kids, one girl said her name was Ruth, and I told her that it was my name, too. Rachel, Greyson’s wife, understood the whole mzungu-multiple name thing, and decided that I should go by “Ruthie” for the rest of my stay in Petauke. My grandmother must be so proud!

Tonight all the Journey girls from the next house came over with some of the boys who live on the homestead where they stayed. We sat in the visiting hut and listened to one of the boys tell stories that were absolutely hilarious. We had such a good time! When the stories were finished, the boys decided to ask us riddles. Each person who answered a riddle would receive a new Chinyanja name. It was so much fun to watch these 8 teenage boys deliberate over what each of our new names should be. They decided I should be called Cikondi (chee-KOHN-dee) which means Love.

If anyone has ideas for what my 4th identity should be, just let me know!

No comments: