Thursday, May 14, 2009

40/40 Day 22- Violet

“…My grace is sufficient for you, for My power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly in my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.
-2 Corinthians 12:9


I almost didn’t go out today. After breakfast I wasn’t feeling well at all, and the thought of walking 45 minutes out to a village, only to get stuck with “tummy bad luck,” as my sister calls it, was not at all appealing. But our DFA today was to share our testimonies, and I knew that Satan didn’t want me to go. So I sucked it up… and said I might turn back if I didn’t start feeling better.

I shared with the first woman we met. She was a Jehovah’s Witness, and seemed really confused about who Jesus was and how someone could be saved. At the next home, we met with a young girl who didn’t understand that going to church didn’t mean she was born again. We spoke with her for a while, but she just didn’t “get” it.
Pray that the Spirit continues to speak to both of these women’s hearts and draw them to Himself.

At the last home, we met Violet. She is a young mother with 3 children, one of whom was terrified of the mzungus. We sat on the ground shelling groundnuts with Violet, just getting to know her. The more we talked with her, the more clear it became that she didn’t know Jesus. But I had absolutely no idea how to turn the conversation. Before long, our attention was drawn to the young girl who stays with Violet and her husband. We discovered that she was a niece who was orphaned when she was 4 years old, and has been living with them for almost ten years. I saw God opening a door, and asked Violet if she was afraid of death; she said of course she was. I began to share the Gospel with her, explaining that she didn’t need to fear life or death, but that Jesus could meet all her needs, both in life and in death. When I finished the Story, she said wanted to ask for salvation, but didn’t know how to pray. I was able to lead Violet in the prayer of salvation, and Victoria, our helper, is connecting her with local women to help her grow in her new faith.

God is so good. As we returned to camp from the village, I was reminded that I almost didn’t go out today. I was physically at the lowest point I’ve been since we came to bush camp. But God wanted me to walk in obedience. Today wasn’t the first time I’ve shared the Gospel. And it definitely wasn’t the best presentation I’ve made. Yet God made it abundantly clear, again, that it’s not about what I do or what I say. I could make a terrible mess of the whole thing, and God still do an amazing work in someone’s life. He can draw hearts to Himself, no matter what I say. And He does. It’s just one more way He is so amazing, one more reason why I love Him so much. He doesn’t need me, but He chooses to use me.

And to think I actually wanted to go back to bed!!!

No comments: