Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Lugbara ti mbamba!

The Lugbara language is difficult.

We started our language study Monday. Wow. I don’t even know what to think. A part of me thinks that I will (eventually) be able to find the patterns in the language and learn it ok.

Lugbara is a tonal language. I’ve been around tonal languages before… I haven’t learned them, but I’ve been around them. And I have to say, Lugbara is a prettier sounding language than some of the nasal Asian languages. Parts of Lugbara sound like music… it’s just a matter of making sure you have the right notes… which is easier said than done!

So between the funky consonant clusters (ngoni, drinja, ndr-, and mgb-), the stops, the tones (dodo is a big mango, dodo is cooked greens), and the fact that mi is you and ma is me, I will fall on my face praising God if I really am able to learn this language!

Pray for me!

3 comments:

David Pope said...

You hang in there! It'll come. Praying for ya!

Marsha Byers Mays said...

I hope you catch on quickly. You are a smart girl and I know you will do your best. Hope that you have a great day. Thanks for my text. Pretty cool to get birthday wishes from your friend in Africa!

Barbara said...

You will do well - Being an ELA teacher is going to help you pick up more.