Wednesday, April 29, 2009

40/40 Day 8- Education

The goal of 40/40 is education.  I am here to gain better understanding of the African culture and way of life.  And I am seeing things here even more clearly than I see in Arua.  Maybe it’s because of the urban setting, maybe it’s the places Christine is taking me, or maybe I’ve just insulated myself into life in Arua, but I have definitely seen suffering here.  A part of me wants to ask Christine how she does it, how she keeps going here, how she functions in a place where suffering and death are so much a part of life.   As we walk through the neighborhood, every atom of my being cries out, “No!  This isn’t right!  This isn’t how we were supposed to live!”

This isn’t what God wanted for us.  This isn’t what the world was supposed to be like.  And praise the Lord, this isn’t all there is.  The pain of earth and life makes us even more desperate for eternity and what God has in store for us.

My education and understanding comes at a price.  There are people I am coming in contact with on a daily basis, and their constant struggles are teaching me about life.  This understanding I am gaining is costing them dearly.  God, please let me get it!  Don’t let them go through all this for nothing.  Humble my heart and let me see life from their eyes.  And let me be changed for it.

No comments: