Thursday, April 23, 2009

40/40 Day 2- Africa Wins Again

You learn very quickly that, in a showdown, Africa always wins.  Whether it’s a battle with a washing machine, a house being invaded by flying ants and termites, a 4-hour security meeting that accomplishes nothing (because your shoes get stolen off your front porch the very next night!), two hours of tea with a neighbor, driving past a family of elephants, getting pooped on by bats (more than once!), or seeing an amazing sunset, Africa always wins.

I thought briefly about keeping score… but it doesn’t matter.  Because Africa always wins.  I think at this point, my job is to learn to function in Africa, so that it doesn’t bother me quite so much when Africa does win.  Africa belongs to my Father, and He loves this place.  The little things that drive me crazy are just the way He made it to be here.  Just because it’s not the way I’m used to things doesn’t mean it’s bad… it’s just not America.  Life in America is definitely easier, but in a showdown, Africa always wins.

No comments: