Saturday, December 27, 2008

Day after Christmas

Yesterday I went to Haywood Mall. (And the Shops at Greenridge too, but I won't get into that... it will only stir up bitterness!)  It's been a while since I've been to Haywood, and I usually try to stay away from shopping on the days after Christmas and Thanksgiving... it's just too much chaos, too much conflict when I'm trying to keep my heart peaceful.  But I had several things to return and needed to buy some jeans (I literally wore my favorite pair out!), and time is short this year, so off I went.

I expected the traffic.  Didn't enjoy it, but expected it.  I expected to play hide-and-seek for a parking spot.  Again, didn't enjoy it, but expected it.  But I was totally unprepared for what I ran into once I actually got into the mall.

It was FULL of people.  I really don't think I've EVER seen it as full as it was yesterday.  And they all had loads of bags, had obviously been spending a LOT of money.  And then it hit me.

My people.  My sweet, simple Lugbara people who live in a town of 60,000 at most, where you're lucky if you have electricity for the majority of the day.  If I brought them here, to Haywood Mall, where Americans spent more money in one day than they see in a year, what would they think?  How would they respond?  Would the be overwhelmed by the importance we place on things that are so artificial?  Would they be hurt, that we spend so much money on comfort when the same amount of money in Arua could change lives?

I don't have any answers.  All I know is, the way I think has changed.  I'm still American, and I still have the American mentality of my rights and my stuff.  But at least I'm conscious of it.  

1 comment:

David Pope said...

Good word ... and introspective, too. We miss you. It won't be long!