Monday, December 8, 2008

SNOW!!!!

I love snow.  Even though I hate the cold (because in South Carolina, cold usually means cold and wet, which is just no fun), I love snow.  Maybe it's because of my snow-deprived childhood.  Maybe it's because snow meant a day off from school.  Maybe it's because Dad stayed home from work, built a fire, and had snowball fights with us.  Maybe it's because Mom made chili, hot chocolate, and snow cream.  Whatever the reason, I love snow.

It's snowed a few times since I've been in Virginia (which is crazy to me, because anything before the middle of January seems ridiculously early for snow!)  Most of the snow we've gotten has just been a few flurries flying-- definitely too warm for anything to stick, but really pretty to see falling, and absolutely enough to make the heart jump a little.

But last night?  Last night it SNOWED.  I don't mean a few scattered little flakes that dissolve before you can stick your tongue out.  I mean shining-in-the-streetlamps, baby-it's-cold-outside, make-hot-chocolate, glad-I'm-not-driving-in-this snow.  How is it that snow brings out the kid in us all?  Why do we sing Christmas carols at the top of our lungs and look for an opportunity to ambush some boys with snowballs?  In all honesty, I really don't know.  But I'm glad for it.

Sadly, the snow was almost gone when I woke up this (cold) morning.  And what hadn't melted blew away during our very windy time in house church.  But can I just say how immensely grateful I am for one more chance to play in the snow before I move to Africa?  God is so good!  :)

No comments: