Thursday, December 18, 2008

Leaving my Scarecrows

I'm not a movie buff.  Don't get me wrong-- I like movies.  But I'm not the kind of person who goes around dropping quotes or making comparisons between movies and real life.  It's just not who I am... until today. (Get ready-- this might get sappy.)

As I've spent the past couple of days preparing to leave ILC, my heart has literally hurt.  I've been trying to brace myself and get ready, but it's not really working out all that well for me.  The last 2 months have been beyond description.  We have received training for almost every aspect of life overseas you could imagine, and probably some you would never dream of.  But by far, the best part of Field Personnel Orientation has been the fast friendships, the brother- and sister-friends, the people you instantly connected with on a heart-level.  And leaving these precious friends has been the part of this week I've been dreading.

In the middle of pondering these goodbyes today (okay, so I'm dwelling on it!), I was reminded of The Wizard of Oz, in the scene where Dorothy is getting ready to leave Oz and is saying her goodbyes.  You can feel it building as she says goodbye to TinMan and the Cowardly Lion, but then she gets to the Scarecrow.  She all but falls apart when she tells him, "I'm going to miss you most of all."

Right now I'm Dorothy.  There have been over 300 people that I've come in contact with on a daily basis for the last 2 months.  I will miss them all, because they've all become a part of my life.  But there are 3 very special friends who are my scarecrows.  I've told all but one of them goodbye, and I really don't know when I'll see them again.  My heart hurts... I will miss them most of all.

1 comment:

David Pope said...

You were certainly special to me! Have a great holiday.