Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Not My Battle

God's been having to smack me around some lately. My time in Uganda is coming to a close; 7 months from now I'll be back home with my family and friends… and unemployed. Don't get me wrong; I can't wait to see my people again. I've missed them almost more than I can stand! No, it's the "unemployed" part that's been making me uneasy.  I've heard plenty about how crummy the American economy is and how high unemployment rates are… and I'm not really excited about joining the ranks. Go figure.


The difficult thing for me lately is knowing that, once I get off the plane, I have no plan. No job. No home. (Rooms to sleep in at other people's homes don't count!) And I'm one who has always had a plan.   Even if the plan changed, which it did, and often, there was some kind of idea of what was going on. But right now, I got nothin'. (Not that I don't have ideas of what I want to do when I go home. I do.  The roadblock is convincing someone to pay me a salary to do them!) But in the past few weeks, God's been trying to get my attention. He
keeps telling me not to worry. (Easier said than done!) That He really does have it all under control.



Recently, He's been even more specific. He reminds me of Joshua and the battle of Jericho. Joshua, the gifted swordsman and general, was instructed to walk around a city in silence while God fought the battle for him… "and the walls came tumbling down!" (Sorry, I just felt like singing for a second!)


And last week He showed me 2 Chronicles 20, when Jehoshaphat and the kingdom of Judah was surrounded by Moab and Ammon and greatly outnumbered. The Lord prophesied through Jahaziel and said, "Do not fear or be dismayed because of this great multitude, for the battle is not yours but God's…. You will not fight in this battle; station yourselves, stand and see the salvation of the LORD on your behalf.  Do not fear or be dismayed; tomorrow go out and face them, for the LORD is with you." (verses 15, 17)


He keeps telling me, over and over, that He will fight this battle for me. And I have to believe Him. He has never failed me. He has kept me from getting jobs in places I had no business going. He has kept houses from selling at the wrong time. He has literally picked me up from one job and put me down in another. When it was time for my house to sell, He sold it in five days. He has kept me, comforted me, and provided for me all my life… why on earth would He stop now? I just have to remember to keep walking, to keep going, to watch and see and allow Him to fight my battle for me.

1 comment:

David said...

A great blog about trusting God. Crane