Sunday, March 21, 2010

Jesca's Joy

Jesca, like most Africans, has more than her share of financial problems.  Her husband, Michael, has worked two different jobs in the past 6 months that never paid him.  Jesca is paid well, but it's barely enough to meet their ongoing needs.  And last month, after receiving her salary for February, she had to use most of it to pay for school fees for her younger brother.  She had no money left to buy food; the sweet potatoes from her garden have been harvested, so that's all she has at home to eat for the next few weeks.

Last week Jesca asked me to pray for her financial needs.  She didn't ask for a salary advance, and she didn't ask for me to help her.  She just asked me to pray.  So I did.  I asked God to show Himself as her Provider, to meet her needs in a way that only He can, whether by having her other crops mature early, by sending someone to repay a loan, or by giving them an unexpected financial gift.  I was so encouraged that Jesca was beginning to trust God to provide for her needs, not me or my roommates.

When Jesca arrived at our house the next morning, she was grinning from ear to ear.  I just knew that God had moved in an amazing way, and I couldn't wait to hear about it… so I asked her.  "Why are you smiling so," I questioned.  "What has happened?"

She just laughed.  "Nothing happened," she said.  "I may have problems, but God is with me.  How can I not smile?" she reasoned.

In a few short weeks, Jesca has learned the secret to true joy.  She knows tat it's not about her circumstances, but the One who is walking with her through it all.  And I am reminded that I need to learn a few lessons from her.

Out of the most severe trial, their overflowing joy and their extreme poverty welled up in rich generosity.  (2 Corinthians 8:2)

Rejoice in the Lord always.  I will say it again: Rejoice!  Let your gentleness be evident to all.  The Lord is near.  Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.  (Philippians 4:4)

No comments: