Sunday, March 7, 2010

Fear

2/11/2010

Fear is an incredible motivator.  Fear can move us to change our lives or plan our days based on what may or may not happen.  And fear can cause us to do things that, at least in some parts of our brains, we know make no sense at all. 

Here in India, fear is probably the biggest religious motivator there is.  People feed street kids, give alms to the poor, light candles, and pay homage to gods who are, in all honesty, pretty fearsome things.  Mothers even put eyeliner on small children to keep their souls from being stolen by demons; the thought is that the eyeliner makes the children ugly, so the feared spirits won't want them.

Fear has infiltrated the "Christian" church of Uganda as well.  Parents have their infants baptized in hopes it will protect them if they die.  They honor ancestors in fear of what will happen if they don't.  My sweet friend Jesca was terrified that she might not have confessed all her sins, and thus might go to hell when she died.

I haven't lived in fear of eternity for a long time, and so, it's easy for me to forget just how big a deal fear actually is.  It's easy for me to take for granted that my eternity is secure.  One of the blessings of this journey to India has been being reminded of my need to be grateful.  The Father doesn't want me to live my life surrounded by fear; in fact, He tells me over and over in His Word NOT to fear.

So do not fear, for I am with you;
do not be dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you;
I will up hold you with My righteous right hand.
Isaiah 41:10

You will not fear the terror of the night,
nor the arrow that flies by day.
Psalm 91:5

There is no fear in love.  But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment.  
The one who fears is not made perfect in love.
1 John 4:18

Jesus came to this world not to condemn us.  Not to judge us.  Not to point out our many, many, many flaws.  He came to make a way, to bring us back to the Father.  There's no fear in that.  May He always remind me that I have nothing to fear, and may He make me resoundingly grateful for that.

No comments: