Sunday, March 7, 2010

Holiness

2/13/2010

***Disclaimer: As much as I wanted to, I did not get to go to the Ganges River when I was in India.  There just wasn't enough time to travel so far from Delhi.  Which means I'll just have to go next time…***

The Ganges River is one of the most famous rivers in the world.  It is possibly the center of religious life in India.  And it is polluted beyond the point of foulness.

Hindus in India believe that the Ganges is the source of life, and because of this, it is holy.  Being in the river consecrates you as well as whatever it is you are doing.  So, in the pursuit of holiness, people literally live out their lives in the Ganges… every part of life.

People are dirty.  We are broken and foul.  And, sadly, we have a tendency to contaminate everything we touch… except God.  His all-surpassing holiness cannot be diminished by the time I spend with Him; He cannot be less than He is.  In fact, it's quite the opposite:  by living my life in His presence, He (often very slowly) shapes me into His image and puts His holiness on me, all without becoming polluted Himself.  Because true holiness is a refining thing.  Something truly holy cannot become filthy and still remain holy.

When I brought the mess of my life to Jesus, He chose to take my mess upon Himself and cleanse me.  He made me holy.  But, because His very nature is holiness, He couldn't stay dirty.  He was able to cleanse Himself and remain holy.  The Ganges River can't do that.  Neither can any other thing, created by man or God, that we tend to worship.  Only the Most High God can cleanse us, purify us, and remain holy.  And holy He is.

"Consecrate yourselves and be holy, because I am 
the LORD your God.  Keep my decrees and follow them.  
I am the LORD, who makes you holy."
Leviticus 20:7-8

There is no one holy like the LORD,
Indeed, there is no one besides You,
Nor is there any rock like our God.
1 Samuel 2:2

No comments: