Thursday, October 22, 2009

Kids

It’s crazy to me to think that I’ve been in Uganda for more than 9 months. Even amid all the culture shock, homesickness, driving stress, and “Whoa, I live in Africa” moments, it’s hard not to notice the kids. They’re amazing. Always smiling, always waving, always looking for just a bit of your attention.

The more I notice the kids here, the more I realize that kids, all over the world, are all the same: Bubbles are the best thing in the world. There’s no reason to walk when you can run. The best way to wear a jacket is by just putting the hood over your head. A dare can never, ever be turned down. And when you start singing, the louder, the better.

I don’t really know where this is going… maybe it’s not just the kids. Maybe, underneath the culture and the lifestyle and all the things that make us think we’re so different, maybe deep down, we’re all basically the same.

No comments: