Saturday, September 11, 2010

Sealed


9/5/2010

We went to a bookbinding shop in Old Cairo.  Yes, I was in heaven.  They carry a line of original books (journals, agendas, photo albums) made from gorgeous leather, handmade papers, and cloth you can only find in Cairo.  They will also re-bind old books in new leather.  I’ll say it again.  I was in heaven.

So, considering the horrible combination of shopaholic and book-lover that I am, it was a no-brainer that I would buy something.  The only question was what.  After an agonizing decision-making process, I finally chose a tan journal accented with cream papyrus.  It’s so cool!  And imagine my excitement when I found out that they imprint the spine for free!  The whole imprinting decision was a much easier process.  I decided to have my name printed on the spine in Arabic.  (Turns out there’s a Lebanese-Arabic pop singer who all the boys also named Alissa.  But that’s another story entirely.)  So now, assuming you can read Arabic, there’s no question who that cool papyrus journal belongs to.

Which brought a really cool Word to mind.  That book is mine.  There’s no mistaking it.  It is sealed with my name.  In the same way, I am sealed.  I belong to Christ.  He bought me at a price so much more expensive than the one-of-a-kind journal that I forked Egyptian pounds over for.  He set His seal upon me, and there is no mistaking Who I belong to.  And, just like the imprinting can never be removed from the leather binding of my book, He will never remove His seal from me.  It’s permanent.  Which is so completely overwhelming.  Just like I scoured the bookshop for the journal that was just right, He knew exactly where I was in the Universe.  He chose me.  He called me.  He romanced me, and has never stopped.  And then, He stamped His Name on me, to show the whole world that I belong to Him.  I am sealed.

Place Me like a seal over your heart,
     like a seal on your arm;
for love is as strong as death…
Many waters cannot quench love;
     rivers cannot wash it away.
                                    Song of Solomon 8:6-7, NIV

No comments: