Saturday, September 11, 2010

Ancient PR

9/2/2010

Ben Ezra Synagogue is in Old Cairo.  It’s old… really old.  The synagogue began in the 9th century, in the remains of a 4th century church.  I mean, this sucker is OLD.  (And it’s hidden really well… so well, we couldn’t find it.)  One of the claims to fame of this synagogue is that it’s built right next to where Pharoah’s daughter found Moses.  Oh, and did I mention that it’s also where Mary drew water to bathe Baby Jesus during their Egyptian exile?  Both of these “supposedly’s” REALLY make me want to ask the question, “How you know???”

(This is the point where I wish my blog had audio capability.  Because, in my head, the voice that just said that sounds like a cross between Madea and BonQuiQui, and I laugh every time I hear her.  She’s a kinder, gentler BonQuiQui, but she’s BonQuiQui nonetheless.)

Okay.  Back to this crazy synagogue.  Seriously—how do they know?  Was there a log book people had to sign every time they fetched water?  Did they find the lease for Mary and Joseph’s two-bedroom flat right around the corner?  Was this the ancient royal family’s private bathing ground, set aside especially for Pharoah and the kids?  I’m betting that somewhere around the 11th century, attendance at Sabbath services started dropping off, and the rabbi decided they needed a new PR campaign to bring in new blood.  However it happened, I think there’s one small detail that folks have overlooked.

Ben Ezra Synagogue is almost 3 miles from the Nile.  Someone was a PR genius.

No comments: