Friday, February 5, 2010

Dubai: America East

I think I can say, pretty confidently, that this is the first time I've ever sung "O Happy Day" while walking through an airport. But tonight, it is totally justified. After 14 months in the Ugandan bush, I am in America… for the next 3 hours, anyway. And I hat to say it, but I'm loving it.  The Dubai airport is massive. Think Atlanta-Hartsfield, but bigger.   It's 1 am here, and it's busier than Greenville-Spartanburg ever thought about being. All the sotres and restaurants are open around  the clock, and the lines are long.

And oh, the restaurants! I saw Burger King and teared up… and I don't  even LIKE Burger King! I paid 8 dollars for a caramel mocha at  Starbucks. (I figure if I only spend 8 dollars at Starbucks in almost 2 years, I've done pretty well!) I saw all the pretty different  flavors of ice cream at Baskin Robbins and wound up having to wipe my drool off the sneeze guard. Dunkin Donuts, Coldstone Creamery, Cinnabon… I don't have to eat there—just seeing the signs makes me happy!

I have to admit, though: when I first got into the airport, sensory overload kicked into overdrive. I guess you can tell you've lived in Africa for too long when walking into an airport is overwhelming!

No comments: