Thursday, November 26, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving!

As I write, I am sitting in a (nice) hotel in Jinja, Uganda, overlooking the Nile River. The Baptist Mission of Uganda has gathered here for our annual prayer retreat, and I am so grateful to be with our mission family for one of the "big" family holidays. It doesn't feel like Thanksgiving. It's 85 degrees and steamy. We had pizza for lunch. And my family is on the other side of the planet. But, in spite of all this, I am reminded that I am called to give thanks, regardless of where I am or where I wish I were. So, in an effort to "fake it til I make it," here is the list of the Top 10 things I am thankful for.

10. Velveeta Shells & Cheese... comfort food at its best.
9. Jesca. She does all the dirty stuff, so I don't have to.
8. Washing machines and dryers. What I would give to never wash anything by hand again!
7. Living within two hours of elephants, hippos, and giraffes. Who lives like this???
6. Toilet paper. 'Nuff said.
5. Knowing that all I see is not all there is. My Redeemer makes anything bearable.
4. Amazing students who are seeking the Father, even when it's not popular.
3. A niece and nephew who love me and will throw fits to talk to me on the phone. And the fact that I don't have to be there to deal with the temper tantrums!
2. A family who supports me, no matter what harebrained idea I come up with.
1. Friends and loved ones around the world who are lifting me up today and every day. You are all so amazing, and I am truly blessed to have you in my life.

2 comments:

Keever Kids said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you friend! Think about you often. Miss you.

Chris and Amy said...

Hey girl--
Just wanted you to know you are being thought about during Thanksgiving and everyday.