Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Spring Pictures

Sorry these aren't getting out until the U.S. summer is about to begin! Better late than never I suppose!
We had a Easter sunrise service at our friends Joanna and Billy's house. The service was open to Africans and Westerners and we had about 40 people there in all.

My roomate and ministry partner, Kelly, in our African-made dresses

After the service we had a potluck breakfast. That's Trevor eating breakfast with their watchmen David and Joel.
The Arua team
Kelly, Joanna, and myself

This is Joshua, 4. He's the mayor of Arua's son. He reminds me of my nephew Zeke!

Yes, its a turkey! Evan and Trevor have built some really strong relationships with Lamech, who owns one of the grocery stores in town, and also with some of the other guys who work for him. The week before Easter, Lamech told Evan to come by the store Easter day because he wanted to give him a turkey...so that's Mr. Gobbles. He's pretty scrawny now, but they're planning on fattening him up a bit before they feast. I told them it's not a good idea to name food, but they didn't listen. (By the way, in Lugbara "turkey" is "kulukulu"-the sound it makes!) story group from Latibo Secondary
Latibo Secondary Girls' dorm at Latibo



























2 comments:

Marsha Byers Mays said...

Love your pictures. I enjoyed reading your June update. Glad you made it back safe.

Kathryn Taylor said...

You were right. Never name food you are going to eat. It killed my mom when she was a little girl when her family ate her sheep Nancy.

You crack me up, and I love seeing Africa through your eyes.