Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Give to Lottie!!!

I wish believers in the States could have sat in the meeting I was in this morning. The economic crisis in America is having an impact on the International Mission Board in a major way. IMB personnel are very blessed to be supported by churches and American believers, and I am very grateful to be provided for in the way that I am. I don’t have to worry about whether or not I can stay on the field because my supporters haven’t sent money this month, or might not send it next month. I am very well taken care of.

The IMB is funded primarily by gifts. The vast majority of the money that pays my bills, and those of 5600 others worldwide, comes from you. Gifts to the IMB, most importantly through the Lottie Moon Offering, are significantly down. Gifts to Lottie in 2008 were $13 million less than expected, and things haven’t gotten better in 2009. The IMB is committed to operating within what God provides through the gifts of believers. There are currently just over 5600 IMB missionaries in the field; our budget is expected to cover expenses for 5000 personnel, at best. For now, the board of trustees plans not to cut personnel already in the field, but to severely limit new missionary appointments.

For now, each affinity group (there are 9 in the world) has a total of 15 career, or long-term personnel, jobs available to be filled and 15 Journeyman jobs. The Masters and ISC programs, of which I am a part, are suspended for new personnel. As short-term missionaries like me end their terms of service, we will not be replaced. The number of personnel in the field will be reduced, and the impact on lostness worldwide will be affected.

Those of us in the field are very concerned about the future of the IMB and its work. There are still many people groups throughout the world, many in Sub-Saharan Africa, who are completely unreached and unengaged by the Gospel. If the presence of believers sharing the Word is reduced, how will they hear? This financial state is critical. I know that the economic state of affairs in the US is not good, but people still eat out. People still go to movies. What is more important: your entertainment and comfort, or someone’s eternal salvation? I urge you, I beg you, please give to Lottie. Please designate gifts to the IMB. You can give designated funds to any Southern Baptist church, or by going online to Give Now. Your action, or inaction, will have eternal consequences.

2 comments:

Shari Horner said...

Hi Alissa,
I just got caught up on your blog and at one point my heart just ached to "be there." While I was quite amused and deeply moved by your "things I learned" post, I was also struck by how much American "junk" takes up my time, and emotions. Im not even talking about TV or magazines...just everyday life, paper work, bills etc. I longed to just do nothing but focus on ministry to others. It was a companion "kick-start" to what God has been calling me back to on a full time basis. Thank you for sharing your experiences and your heart. I miss you and am so proud of you~~~ Much love, Shari

Shari Horner said...

PS - Please pray for our family. John got laid off several months ago so things dont "look" good for us. And Calla just got accepted to transfer to Belmont Univ. in Nashville. We have no idea how God will provide but we KNOW that He has initiated this transfer and has continuously been IN the details so far...so please pray with us as we wait on Him.