Sunday, November 30, 2008

Afternoon at the Museum

I love it when God gives you an "aha" moment.  Yesterday all 350 of us went to DC for a ministry field trip... focusing on reaching internationals and getting a better understanding of our people's culture and worldview.  (Sidenote: one of our assignments was to eat lunch at an ethnic restaurant... Ethiopian food is REALLY good, if you can get over eating with your hands out of one huge bowl on the table!)  The group I was with decided to go to the African art museum to try to find some Africans and get some first-hand understanding of their culture.  

While we were in an exhibit with some smaller pieces, I had the opportunity to speak with Simeon, a brother from Trinidad who came to visit some friends for Thanksgiving.  As a believer, he was really frustrated with the whole Thanksgiving thing, and observed that Americans in general used Thanksgiving more as an excuse to overeat than as an opportunity to show their gratitude to God.  We had a great conversation about what really matters, and some good time to encourage each other.  Please pray for Simeon as he returns to Trinidad, to be strengthened in his faith even more.

When our conversation ended, I realized the girls in my group had left the exhibit in the museum, so I decided to check out some of the other exhibits in the museum to try to find them.  The next exhibit I went into was an African textiles and clothing exhibit.  The rooms were completely dark, except for spotlights shining on the pieces of fabric or objects in cases.  All of this was pretty cool, until I got into the big room of the exhibit.  When I went in, I saw that there were four full-sized masks on display around the room.  Before I go any farther, you need to understand that masks and the costumes that go along with them aren't just considered to be art in animist Africa.  Each mask and costume represents a different spirit or god.  During a ceremony, the tribal priest wears a mask and costume and dances and performs rituals.  They believe it is actually the spirit dancing and conducting the ceremony, not the priest.  Animists spend their entire lives trying to keep the spirits happy and appeased, but every bit of trouble in their lives is proof that the spirits are displeased.  But Jesus came "to free those who through fear of death were subject to slavery all their lives." (Heb. 2:14)

When I walked in and saw these masks and costumes, my heart stopped.  It was like being in the presence of these demonic beings all at once, without warning.  I was seriously creeped out.  I was still looking for the girls, and I was trying to get myself under control.  "Be a big girl... they're only objects... they have no power, God is bigger..."  These were my thoughts as I was trying to get a grip.  I kept walking around the exhibit, trying to focus on the fabrics and clothing, trying to find my teammates, but it honestly felt like one of the costumes in particular was watching me wherever I went.  I have truly never felt such heaviness and oppression in my life.  My only thought was leaving the room and getting away from these demonic manifestations.  I really felt like a big loser for not toughing it out, because I know that greater is He who is in me than he who is in the world. (1 John 4:4)  But there also comes a time to flee from evil... so that's what I did.

As I was walking out, the Holy Spirit spoke very clearly.  He said, "You were under that oppression for 30 seconds, and it was all you could stand.  How do they feel, My children who live under this oppression every day, all their lives, slaves to fear?"  As much as this short experience was so gut-wrenching and difficult, I wouldn't exchange it.  God, in His wisdom, placed me in this museum and this exhibit to allow me to get just a taste of that fear and oppression that my people in Africa live under every day of their lives.  I didn't enjoy it, but I am so glad I went through it.  God gave me an experience that lets me understand my people just a little better.  And that little taste makes the whole experience worthwhile.

No comments: